Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mother's Day Menu Breakdown:Veranda Edition

So as everyone knows, Mother's Day is quickly approaching. If you forgot, here is your heads up! You are welcome. That being said, some of you may be wondering where to take your dear, sweet, special, amazing mom. Sure, you could go to Olive Garden like you do every year, you could even get adventurous and try someplace new. Whether your plan is to go to "the usual" or to branch out, I have a place that should definitely be under consideration. If you are in the DFW metroplex, especially the Plano, Frisco, or The Colony area, you should try Veranda Italian Bistro at Austin Ranch.

(Yes, I admit that I promote it very frequently, but that is because it is good, and because my future husband works his booty off in that kitchen to provide quality, fresh, and delicious meals. If he wasn't working there I would not promote it as much, but I can guarantee I would still stuff my face there just as frequently if not more! (I can't embarrass him too much at work after all :P)

Not only is Veranda worth the try and possible commute, but they are being super business savvy and helpful to all of the Mommy's out there by offering a Mother's Day special! Ohhhh, Ahhhh! Look at all of the choices!
 Now I know what you are thinking. Something along the lines of, "Are these those gimpy choices restaurants give that are cheap and not the good stuff?" or, "What if I order the wrong thing?", or "What is good?". Well friends, I am here to save you the inner conflict as well as the awkward "What is good here?" exchange with the sweet and well meaning waiters that never seem to be comfortable answering that question. Anywhere. I'm going to break down the Momma's Day menu coarse by coarse and let you know what I have tried, what I liked about it, and why!

Note*** If I do not list something, it is because I have not tried it...YET. And, to be honest, I am not a fan of seafood so that element of the menu is lost on me. I have heard great things though, and Chef Lou has a restaurant in Cape May that is very popular and is dedicated to seafood. That should clarify any concerns on that part. And I have heard good things from people who do enjoy seafood :). 



Primi (Appetizers)
Bruschetta
Had it. Loved it! The bread is tasty, and the fresh cherry tomatoes drizzled with aged balsamic is amazing. It has a light, fresh taste, and it is on the sweeter side with the tomatoes. The bitterness of the balsamic evens that out though and it is a perfect pairing.
Polpette di Carne (HUGE meatball)
- A big meatball. Covered in their delicious HOMEMADE marinara. They make it from scratch I've seen proof :). It is a really good, flavorful starter, and it is fun to share...if you want to!
Zucchini Fritti 
- Ahhh fried zucchini. One of my weaknesses and one of the foods I dream about. Seriously. No judging. At Veranda they cut them into little strings and lightly fry them. The batter is so good, it makes me want to try the calamari (remember, not a seafood person). You get a big amount of fried baby zucchini slices and marinara to dip it in. Tasty and another good one to share. 
Insalata Mista
- This has become my favorite salad hands down. It doesn't seem like much,but it packs such harmonious and yummy flavors. It has the more robust salad vegetation, and the veggies paired with the cheese and the balsamic make a winning combo. The salad and cheese balances out the sweet of the veggies, and the balsamic just adds its own signature flavor. It is one of those salads that you can start with without feeling guilty!
Calamari- I have not had this, but the Fiance LOVES it.




Secondi
I have to admit, the food I order the most at Veranda is the Pizza. (Have you seen the pictures?!?). That being said, I have tried several of the pasta dishes and I was very very very pleased. This might be the portion of the menu that you go it alone and try something new! Especially the meat dishes because on Mother's day you will get a great deal on the price!

Sphagetti and Meatballs
- The traditional go-to at Italian restaurants. It is delicious just like everything else involving their marinara!
Fusilli Tricolored Primavera
- This one was an eye opener for me. Before this dish I did not realize that you could put something on your pasta besides marinara, cream, or picatta sauce. Apparently, there is this sauce called brown butter sauce, and it is insane! It is light, but packs a lot of flavor and compliments pasta and all of the veggies in this dish. If you want a lighter tasting pasta and you love veggies go for this one.
Penne Alla Vodka
 - This is another one of my very favorites. I am in love with vodka/pink sauce. There is nothing better than combining cream sauce and marinara, or any variant of that combination. I always ask for chicken on mine and it is superb! The noodles are so fresh, I am not 100% sure, but I do believe that these are the noodles that they make in house. (If not they might as well be! So fresh and yummy!).



Dolce
-Chocolate Mousse
- OH.DEAR.GOD. Chef Edmund makes this fresh every day and it is heaven in your mouth good. It is like thick chocolate icing but all chocolate tasting with homemade whipped cream on the side. And strawberries. This is one you better order fast though, it might run out! I haven't tried anything else yet. I can't betray this dish!
Cheesecake
- Although I have not tried the cheesecake, I have heard that it is insane. Besides read the description! This is definitely on my to do list ladies and gents.



In general, the ingredients are fresh, you are required to get something with mozzarella on it due to the fact that it is soooo fresh and sooooo good. Also, the marinara is a potential requirement. And the chocolate mousse. AND if you go on Mother's Day don't forget her free glass of wine!


If you do attend post your "Spoiling Mom on Mother's Day" Pictures on our facebook page,  https://www.facebook.com/MjFoodFanatics.

We want to see those happy Mommas!!! God Bless :) and happy Mother's Day wherever you choose to be spoiled at! It may be off of the beaten path, but that means less crowds, more attentive service, and of course amazing food! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment